I would just like to send out a huge thank you to everyone who entered our very first challenge last month. I was just so touched by the kind words you all had to say and by all the amazing work that went into every single project that was posted!! I was so excited to see some brand new faces to the mixed media world as well as some some skilled experts, such a great turn out from all levels of crafting!! Be sure to join us next Tuesday when all the winners are announced!
It's time for a new challenge and this month the wonderful and super talented Cec is the hostess and she has chosen the theme MAKE IT MASCULINE. Lots more details in a minute, but first here is my make.
For this challenge, Cec would like you to make a mixed media card or other project for a fellow in your life. It could be for Father's Day, a birthday, an anniversary or just because you want him to know how special he is.
I decided to make an altered book box for my Dad for Father's Day. My Dad is one of my biggest fans and he is always so impressed by the different textures I create, so I thought I would go all out and do some extreme textures in a 'Steampunk meets the Deeps Woods' sort of style. I went for faux tree bark, faux weathered wood, faux leather and faux antique metal, all of them very grungy and manly, I think. Inside I will place his card and gift...neither of which are actually ready yet, doh!
HOW DID I DO THAT:
- I applied a thick layer of DecoArt Gesso and then heated the heck out of it until it was all bubbly.
- next was some DecoArt Texture Sand Paste and Crackle Paste in random areas and let it dry. If you have never tried the Texture Sand, I highly recommend it! It has the most amazing texture. It's thin enough to be able to spread it over a large surface but thick enough to be able to apply it through a stencil, and it takes paint and inks amazingly without needing a primer!
- then I applied a layer of DecoArt Americana acrylic paints in two contrasting colours - Antique Gold and Oxblood. These colours work great for rusting effects or wood effects, a couple of my favs. I applied the Antique Gold first and then a little Vaseline as a resist before applying the Oxblood. Then I sponged a little of both randomly using a sea sponge.
- using the Andy Skinner texture stamp set from Stampendous, I added a little extra design, then I dribbled some Gathered Twigs distress ink spray and stain down the surface and let them sink in.
- there are a couple of finishing steps that I forgot to photograph. I took a quilling needle and began to scratch up the surface in different directions, then I rubbed some DecoArt Media Antiquing cream into the cracks. I used Raw Umber and English Red Oxide. You can see it in the close ups.
The faux leather straps were made by applying some DecoArt Modeling Paste through a piece of drywall tape to get the tiny pattern. I painted it with Americana Acrylic paints in Burnt Sienna and Dark Chocolate with splashes of Oxblood and Ebony Black. I coated it with DecoArt Matte Medium. It gives it a nice sealed appearance without being too glossy. The buckles are off an old pair of high heel shoes that I don't wear any more.
For the sides, I brushed on a layer of DecoArt Modeling Paste and then took a stippling brush and dragged it down the sides to create the illusion of pages. I heated it up to create some bubbles and then I lightly brushed on some distress ink spray to antique it a bit. They are attached with magnet strips, so they can be moved easily to open the box.
The bark is a new technique that I thought I would try using all of my new DecoArt products. I have just purchased a rig for my video camera, so I will be starting my very own YouTube channel soon, and this technique is on my list of video tutorials. STAY TUNED. lol
Unfortunately, I haven't decorated the inside yet, because I haven't made my final decision about what gift I am getting my Dad, so I'm not sure how much space there will be. I might snap a photo later if I remember.
The binding strips were cut from a pizza box (oh come on, you had to know that was coming!). I painted them with DecoArt Americana Ebony Black and a touch of Oxblood and then rubbed on some DecoArt Metallic Lustre Gold Rush Wax. The clock, key and steampunk heart were done the same way. The screws are just cardboard pieces that I indented with a credit card.
I am entering the following wonderful challenges:
- A Sprinkle of Imagination - June - Anything Goes (Distress ink stains)