Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Home-made Texture Paste & Glitter Paste Tutorial

Hello Everyone!

I have been getting a lot of questions regarding my home-made texture paste, so I thought it was about time I let you in on how I make it. By no means did I invent the concept, but I did spend a lot of time and products perfecting my ratio formula, so I feel that I can call this my own recipe. I have included 3 different versions today, all of which have great uses for different things and all of them are ratio recipes. The advantage of a ratio recipe is you can make as much or as little as you want, all you have to do is change the size of your portion container!!

OK, here we go...

RECIPE #1 - STICKY PASTE

INGREDIENTS:
- Baby powder or talc powder - white, non-scented is always good. The perfume magnifies under heat, so you be the judge of how much time you can spend breathing in those fumes.
- White Glue - cheap, dollar store glue actually works great. The only thing you don't want is glue that dries too fast or glue that is really shiny when it dries.
- Acrylic Paint - again, just some cheap, dollar store paint will do the trick! Nothing fancy required!
- Portion Cups - I use plastic ounce glasses from the party supply store which makes about 1/3 cup of paste
You will also need a container to mix in that can be sealed air tight and something to stir with.

RECIPE:
- 1 portion of paint, 1/2 portion of glue and 2 portions of powder


DIRECTIONS:
- put your wet ingredients in first (the glue and paint), then just like when your making tea biscuits or a pie crust...slowly add the baby powder, making sure to stir well. This will ensure that you get out all of the lumps making it nice and creamy and easier to spread...just like your pastry!!!


BEST USE FOR STICKY PASTE: This is the paste you want to use if you would like to sprinkle on a little glitter or embossing powder. It is also great if you want a smooth pattern with crisp edges.

PRO'S - It is really smooth, so it spreads easily. It is really wet, so the glitter and embossing powders stick to it really well. Because of the slower drying time, you have leeway for clean up and putting the cap back on. It makes a wonderful, clean, crisp pattern once it dries. Perfect for elegant or CAS style cards.

CON'S - It is really wet, so it takes a lot longer to dry and warps the paper more. You won't get a good texture with it because it isn't stiff enough to maintain peaks and grooves. You also cannot lay it on very thick or it just falls like a badly baked soufflé!

In this sample, I sprinkled on some gunmetal glitter.


In this sample, I sprinkled on black embossing powder. You can get two looks from this. If you leave it the way it is, it has a soft velvety appearance and feel to it. Or you can use your heat gun and melt it like you normally would for a shiny surface (that will also act as a resist to preserve the colour of your paste when you start inking).

If you decide to melt your embossing powder, be sure to wait until your paste is completely dry before taking the heat gun to it. If the paste is still wet, the powder will burn long before it melts. You can see below, half I left as it was and the other half I melted with the heat gun (too soon, I might add) lol.



RECIPE #2 - DRY PASTE

The only difference between the recipe for sticky paste and dry paste is that the dry paste has 1/2 portion extra of baby powder added to it (depending on the brands of paint and glue, you may have to add a bit more powder). Here is a shot so you can see the difference in shine and consistency.


BEST USE FOR DRY PASTE: This is the paste you want to use if you are going for texture. It's the base for my bark technique and it also makes great clouds, wood planks, ocean waves and all sorts of other textures.

PRO'S - It has less glue and paint, so the drying time is considerably less than the sticky paste and it also doesn't warp your paper too badly. It's, of course, fantastic for texture and depth because you can lay it on thick and mold it! It looks great on vintage or grungy projects.

CON'S - Don't leave the lid off because it will dry out crazy fast, right in your container! It can be a little harder to spread because it's so thick and pasty - and make sure you wash your stencil right away or it will crust right on.

Here is one done with Sticky Paste and one done with Dry Paste, so you can see the difference in the finished textures. I have spread some yellow and white paint on it to make it easier for you to see.



RECIPE #3 - GLITTER PASTE

INGREDIENTS:
Baby powder or talc powder - same as before.
White Glue - same as before.
Metallic or Pearl Paint - again, just cheap acrylic paint is fine. If you don't have metallic, that's ok, it just adds a little extra shimmer is all.
- Fine Glitter - Any brand will do, although the boldest, brightest versions work the best. This is the glitter that will blend in with the paint to give it an overall shimmer.
- Coarse Glitter - The coarse glitter is what will grab the light and really make it sparkle.

For the coarse glitter, I recommend the flat octagon style of glitter. Most cheap glitters for kids crafts will be great for this. I know we all love our Frantage, but those chunks do not spread, they drag and leave gaps in the paste. Tim Holtz distress glitter, I'm sad to say, does not work either. It's not quite sparkly enough and gets coated with the paint, never to be seen again. Here are the glitters that I use...lots of shimmer to them.


RECIPE:
- 1 portion paint, 1/2 portion glue, 2 portions powder, 1/2 portion fine glitter and 1/2 portion coarse glitter


BEST USE FOR DRY PASTE: Christmas, of course, but pretty much any other project too!

PRO'S - You absolutely cannot get a beautiful shimmer and texture like this, simply by sprinkling glitter on top of a product! And as a bonus, it's so freaking cheap, you can make some in every colour!!

CON'S - You may never want to use plain texture paste again!!

In this sample I used pearl paint and iridescent glitters, you should really zoom in and check it out!


Well, I hope you enjoyed my really long winded tutorial! If anyone tries out my recipe and has some success, I would really love to see your projects!! Come on back and leave me a link, so I can swoon over your wonderful creations!

I will be leaving a permanent link on my Tutorials Page, in case you can't find this post.


That's it for today. Thank you for stopping in and for all the amazing comments. I read and appreciate every single one! If you have any questions, please let me know.



107 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recipes, I will try these when my supplies have run out. Great ideas! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Now I can venture into texture paste for real! You should have seen the mess I made when I tried making my texture paste! I found recipe online and it just did not turn out the way they were showing. And since I did not know any better, I ruined so much of my good cardstock trying it out arrrrgggghh! Why did I think I could do it right the first time?? Well now I know it will work since I can make it with your recipe! YAY! Thank you so very much again! You are THE BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet Samra! I originally got my recipe from on line too, and just like you, it did not work! Plus it was for a huge batch, I wanted to be able to make varying sized batches, and so...fiddle fiddle until I got it the way I wanted! Let me know how it works for you. big hugs :)

      Delete
  3. WoW! Pamellia...your secret is out! Thank you so much for taking the time to share this...this is the base of all your wonderful creations. Good luck with more creations and more sharing! Have a great week. Hugs dear. Loved the last shimmery one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am giddy with joy and excitement! Thank you so much for sharing these recipes. So generous of you. I cannot wait to try out the glitter paste! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I sure hope you like the glitter paste as much as I do. With Christmas just around the corner, I will be making a bunch of different colours. hugs :)

      Delete
  5. How wonderful of you to share Pamellia. I especially love the glittery one,perfect for Christmas time. Do you think mod podge would work as the glue as I have a big pot of that stuff I don't really use

    Big inky hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried Mod Podge. You would want the matte version...glossy doesn't work well with these recipes. It think it might work, I mean it's basically a glue, right. If you try it, let me know because I would be very curious about that one. hugs :)

      Delete
    2. Do you think corn starch would substitute for the talc?

      Delete
    3. Corn starch....hmmmmm, interesting. I've never tried that, so I'm not sure. If you decide to give it a go, will you come back and let me know how it turned out.

      Delete
  6. Thanks Pamillia for your cool recepies. I love to try all kind of home-made things.
    Have a wonderful day,
    hugs,
    Sirkka

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab - thanks for taking the hard work out of this for the rest of us!

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, no problem Kathy! Hope you get a chance to try it! hugs :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your tips on the texture paste. What fabulous snow this would make, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so creative Shirley, I never thought about snow! I am so using it for that now! hugs :)

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for theses recipes...I did wonder!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous tutorial, Pamellia!! Pinning now!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pamellia, bet you had fun working these out lol! Thanks so much for sharing the recipes. This will save me getting stuff everywhere and probably filling the bin full of all the mistakes Lol! By the sound of the comments above some of your friends have already had that awful experience.
    Thanks for visiting me and pleased you liked the book box.
    Happy crafting and big hugs Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Angela. It was a process working out the kinks, but all in good fun. hugs :)

      Delete
  12. WOW Pamellia! Thanks for the great tutorial, and all the hard work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great in depth Tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to share. The glitter one is my favourite.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Yep, glittery is my fav too! hugs :)

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much for this Pamellia, it must have taken you a while to put this all together to share with us and I really appreciate it as I have always wanted to try making some texture paste. I especially love the glitter paste and it looks like I already have all the necessary ingredients so I shall definitely be having a go, it's just finding the time!
    Thanks again for sharing.
    hugs Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you like the tutorial, I hope the recipe works for you. Come back and let me know! hugs :)

      Delete
  15. Gosh, I have never considered making my own but with your recipes the possibilities are endless - like making coloured texture paste, I think I may have to try this Pamellia, thank you so much for sharing! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Anne. All you have to do is change the colour of the paint you use and presto, coloured paste. hugs :)

      Delete
  16. Thanks so much for sharing your recipes for paste Pamellia. Will have to give this a try! Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do amazing things with regular paste Loll, I can only image the beautiful cards you would make with glitter paste! hugs :)

      Delete
  17. Thank you for sharing your recipes Pamellia, I think I might have to try the Glitter Paste.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Pauline! I hope you do give it a try, it's wonderful stuff for Christmas projects. Not just cards but handmade ornaments too! hugs :)

      Delete
  18. Fabulous tutorials Pamellia! Thank you! I LOVE the glitter paste, I'll have to give that one a try!
    Big Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Tammy, and just in time for Christmas! lol, hugs :)

      Delete
  19. Hi Pamellia
    For goodness sake, don't mix up your paste and your pastry! Mr J will have an almighty shock lol!
    Might just have to try the glitter one. It would be rude not to lol!
    Thanks for the brilliant tutorial.
    Best wishes.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the giggles Ang! I would love to see what you come up with if you decide to give it a go! big hugs :)

      Delete
  20. Fabulous tutorial, Pamellia! Thanks for sharing your recipes! I especially love the glitter ones! I had watched a YouTube video a while back and wrote that recipe down (she used 1 part paint, 1 part talc and 1/2 part glue) but have never tried it. I think I might just have to give it a shot! ;)
    Hugs,
    Leslie
    Love To Scrap!
    Love To Scrap! Challenge Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! You won't be sorry, glitter paste is so much fun! hugs :)

      Delete
  21. Hi Pam! This tutorial is great! Before I bought my liquitex paste I used my own recipe too,pretty much the same but instead of paste I used gesso. It's good to know about our glitter paste as if I ever run out of GlitCraft gorgeous pastes I will try yours ;) thank you for sharing this! I'm in love with the iridescent look!! I might try that one anyway!;) gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ingrid. It's hard to find products like GlitzCraft where I live, so it's nice to able to come up with substitutes. This has served me well. hugs :)

      Delete
  22. Eeeeks Pam the very thought frightens me , i know i would make such a mess it would be in my hair and everywhere it should not be .
    However it does not stop me from oooing and arring over your creations and others , a fantastic tutorial and recipes thank you .
    Take Care
    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA, yes, it is a messy job, but well worth it! hugs :)

      Delete
  23. Fabulous tutorials Pamellia, and wow I don't think I would have the time or patience my friend....but you are one awesome creator.xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Pamellia, a great tutorial. Will have to give this a go. Sally D.x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally, let me know how you do with it. hugs :)

      Delete
  25. Thanks Pamelia for your recipes! Especially useful for me is "white with glitter". Great and simple to do!
    It's wonderful that you share your ideas with others.
    Greetings,
    Max :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Girl, you have no idea how helpful this was. This is something I will definitely be making (somewhere at the end of October). Before I read the recipe I was sure there would be lots of things required, probably things I can't find here. I couldn't be more wrong. So THANK YOU for sharing this recipes. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You're a star!!!! I've bookmarked the page so I can easily find it when the time comes. :D
    Hugs! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aahhh, thank you Maja! I also will be posting this in my tutorial section, so it's easy to find, big hugs :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome, thank you! :) Your tutorial page is already among my bookmarks. He he. :D

      Delete
    3. Forgot to add ... Big crafty hugs to you as well. :)

      Delete
  27. Definitely bookmarking this! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Ros! Let me know how it turns out. hugs :)

      Delete
  28. Loving this idea- love the pictures you shared with your results as well- loving the results of all three of these and will be trying them for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is amazing, I really must try it. Thank you for sharing.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dionne, let me know how it works for you! hugs :)

      Delete
  30. Fab tutorial, just wished I'd had Internet connection on holiday when I made my own version and forgot to add paint! It sort of worked for what I needed but this looks much better! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! Oh boy, it must have been very sticky! ha! hugs :)

      Delete
  31. How very generous of you to post all this info. I will bookmark it for use later. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope you have good luck with the recipe! hugs :)

      Delete
  32. Hi Pamellia, I have tried your texture paste recipe and it's fabulous. I then tried the glitter paste and it is just out of this world. I haven't had chance to make a project with it yet, as I have been too busy playing with the different effects of paints and glitters. Thanks again for sharing this fantastic tutorial. Sally D.x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aahhh, I'm so glad to hear that you like it! I will be keeping my eye open for a Sally texture paste original work of art! big hugs :)

      Delete
  33. Hi Pamellia, I have finally stopped making different types of texture paste, at least for now, to make this cad using your tutorial. Here is a link to my creation http://www.twelvecatscrafting.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/warm-winter-wishes.html . I hope you don't mind but I have included a link to your tutorial so people can check it out for themselves. Sally D.x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, I am on my way right now! Thanks Sally! hugs :)

      Delete
  34. Thanks Pameliia - now bookmarked and on todo list!!! It never ends! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for the recipes and tips, Pamellia. I already make my own embossing paste, from a very similar recipe I found in the net, but for the glitter paste I don't really have a good recipe... tried once using just Mod Podge and regular cheap glitter, it worked for what I wanted at the time, but not with the professional beautiful look of yours. So, thank you again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Chris, Please do come back and let me know how it works for your! hugs :)

      Delete
  36. What a great tutorial! I like you included pros and con's and best uses for each. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Marci! I hope you decide to give it a go! hugs :)

      Delete
  37. Will have to try the glitter paste! Thank you so much for sharing. Happy to be your newest follower too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Tanvi and welcome to My Little Craft Things! Let me know if you try it, I would love to see what you make! hugs :)

      Delete
  38. Pamellia, thank you very much for taking time to photograph the pastes as well as the close-ups of your amazing metallic design! I've learned so much this morning, and felt so happy browsing your close-ups, and reading the pros and cons. I was following you on bloglovin, but now I'm following you on google, too! Have a wonderful day! hugs, de {Creative Smiles}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Donna and welcome to My Little Craft Things! Do come back and let me know if you get a chance to try out my recipes, I would love to see what you create! hugs :)

      Delete
  39. Hi Pamelia - I have used your wonderful recipe on my Christmas house project and linked back to here - amazing how it works thank you so much for sharing your amazing talent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY, thanks for letting me know! I'm on my way to check it out now! hugs :)

      Delete
  40. Wowzer, these look fab. Thanks for sharing. I've bookmarked this page and will be trying these out, especially the glitter one. Thanks for sharing. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail! Can't wait to see what you create with the glitter paste! hugs and smiles :)

      Delete
  41. I happened upon this tutorial while looking for something else online, but I'm so happy that I found this! Being a glitter freak, I can't wait to try your glitter version! Thanks so much for putting out such nice clear directions for making the various pastes.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi. Great tutorial. Really helpful. Esp all the pros/cons/tips/examples. Cheers for sharing. Just one quick Q - could you tell me whether you measured your ingredients by weight or by volume? Thanks :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie. I used one ounce shot glasses and just eyeballed the amount. It doesn't have to be exact Thanks for the visit. hugs :)

      Delete
  43. My beautiful friend, you already visited my project but I wanted to leave a review on your amazing recipe for future visitors. I made the Glitter Texture Paste and it came out so beautifully! Thank you for taking the time to write up such a thorough post. It came together perfectly and I especially love that you used ratio measurements! You never miss a detail. Thank you, Pamellia! :o)

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is BRILLIANT! I can't wait to use the glitter paste for hand made Christmas cards... the possibilities are endless. Haven't had baby powder around for a long time, but it's on my shopping list now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Please do come back and leave a link if you post something. I would love to see what you create. hugs :)

      Delete
  45. will this work with tempera paint?

    ReplyDelete
  46. will this work with tempera paint?

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is great I am just starting mixed media and did not want to spend a lot of money just in case I did not get on with it xx

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thank you so much for this. I have been trying to get a paste to match the glitter I want to use and now I can. Only started using glitter paste last year and am hook.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I've never used glitter paste or any other type of paste as found it a bit to daunting BUT now I will. Thankyou so much. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  50. I made it and is was messy with the paint but I maneged to make it, only I dit not use babypowder but flower or corn ( I don't know the right word)because I dit not have the powder and I think you can use flower as well.It looks good. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thank you so much for sharing this. I totally liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thank you for this, we will have to have a go. We have started making cards using stencils and glitter paster and would like some more colours without the cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would love to see, please drop in and leave a link for me. Hugs :)

      Delete
  53. This is a great recipe! It's working every well for me and the glitter paste is super sparkly. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi, Just found your page while looking for homemade glitter past. Can you please tell me how long it will last stored with a lid on. Hoping to have some fun this this tomorrow as due to covid we're in lock down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I missed seeing your comment. I hope you had some covid crafting fun time!! I suppose the length it lasts would depend on how airtight your container is. It can last for months if kept from drying out. Hugs :)

      Delete
  55. Hey,Pamelia,

    If I added fine beach sand instead of glitter, would this give me a sandy surface? I thought it might be nice to use to make seashell encrusted items? Thank you so much for this tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vickie, This medium is opaque, so you would need to make it a sandy colour, but I think it would work great that way with real sand added in! Would love to see it when your done. hugs :)

      Delete
  56. Your blog post is really very informative & interesting. Thanks for sharing. For more updates on online shopping Coupons & discount Codes please visit Ruparupa Coupons 2021

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi Pamellia, did you ever find out if corn starch would work in the place of baby powder?

    ReplyDelete